I’m trying to study for my Health & Medical course and I need some help to understand this question.
Answer the following questions in one to two thoughtful and well-written paragraphs per question. Make sure to use Times New Roman size 12 font, double space your assignment, and a minimum of two and a maximum of four pages total of your own original work. Remember that Turn It In will be activated for this assignment. Please do NOT include the question statements in your final submission as they will increase your Turn It In score.
Your grade will be based on: demonstrations of reflection, insights, and critical thinking for each question; appropriate length paragraphs for all of the questions; spelling, grammar, punctuation; following instructions; and use of statements from the documentary including coherence, thoughtfulness, and in-depth reflection.
1. In your opinion, is Obamacare a “government takeover of healthcare”? Why or why not?
2. With respect to health care, what is your definition of “freedom”?
3. Why did efforts to enact universal health care in the United States, in 1912 (Roosevelt), 1933 (FDR), 1945 (Truman), 1974 (Nixon), 1975 (Ford), 1977 (Carter), 1993 (Clinton), fail? What basic political themes were used to defeat efforts to enact universal healthcare in the U.S.?
4. Compared to Canadians, why do some U.S. citizens resist the idea that everyone should be provided healthcare, even if they are unemployed or disabled?
5. From a political perspective, why do you think that there is “no opposition of any kind” to universal health care in Canada? What is it about the politics and political culture of Canada that fosters universal acceptance of health care for all?
6. If private health insurers came to be replaced with a Medicare-for-all system in the United States, how would political resistance be expressed?
Link to the movie: