I’m working on a English question and need guidance to help me study.
Final Draft Word Count and Setup Requirement:
- 1300-1500 words (plus a correctly formatted APA cover page and References page)
- 12-point Times New Roman font
- Double-spaced lines
- 4 or more research sources used in-text and listed on References page
- 3rd person point of view
Remember to review your sources in your Annotated Bibliography and use them if those sources are effective.
WHAT: Using at least 4 sources and APA citation format, write a persuasive research-based essay that identifies a problem found in your personal or professional life and proposes a viable solution.
BRAINSTORM: Chose a specific problem for which you have strong beliefs. Some topics include:
- Problem: Coffee cups not recycled because they use a plastic liner on top of the paper
Solution: State legislatures need to pass laws to require companies to make their cups recyclable.
- Problem: No safe places for children to play in the community
Solution: Local law makers need to require schools remain open for after-school sports for all neighborhood children, make pocket parks for neighborhood play, and offer programs for kids at branch libraries.
- Problem: Inadequate training for new staff in workplace.
Solution: Supervisors need to create clear training guidelines, and then hire or direct staff to make a training video or website. Supervisors can also pay experienced workers to train new staff members.
After you have chosen a topic, brainstorm WHO? WHAT? WHEN? WHERE? WHY? and HOW? Example: Who can solve the problem?
Remember to create a solution that addresses the cause of the problem.
When you have a topic in mind, get the topic approved by the instructor prior to beginning the essay’s rough draft. You should have developed your thesis statement and discovered your sources when you completed the Annotated Bibliography.
THESIS: Revise your thesis from your Annotated Bibliography. The thesis identifies the problem and proposes the solution.
Here’s an example: “Since college tuition at Northeastern costs so much that students from poor or working class families in Boston cannot attend, Northeastern’s Board of Trustees ought to implement a policy that states Northeastern will charge only 10% of the student’s family’s income if that student’s family income falls below the federal poverty line.”
Your Turn: “Since ______________________________________________________________,
- In two or three introductory paragraphs, describe and define the problem and show the need for solution; ensure the last sentence in your introduction contains your thesis statement.
- In the next paragraphs, write topic sentences that explain WHY the solution in your thesis statement will work. Develop each paragraph with facts, details, examples, or reasons from your research to support each of your topic sentences. This link shows strategies to help you Persuade Your Reader.
- Conclude your essay: Show how you imagine the situation once people have implemented your solutions to the problem.
REVISE your essay and make sure you have conveyed your thoughts clearly, you have developed your paragraphs with details, facts, reasons, examples or evidence, and you have shown logical transitions from one paragraph to the next.
EDIT: Print your essay and read it ALOUD to check your spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
APA Citation Basics: This assignment requires research; the finished essay will need in-text citations and a References page. The assignment also requires a properly formatted APA cover page. The assignment does not require an abstract.
Academic Format, Citation and Integrity Resources:
Please view this link to learn how to format in-text citations or make a references page:
Please view this link to learn what plagiarism is and how to avoid it: